Thursday, 3 June 2010
In January this year we bought a second hand traditional Thai fishing trawler. The idea is to convert it into a boat we can use as a family for weekends and short holidays to stay aboard.
For a long time I had been thinking of a way to get a boat we could stay overnight on or even to have a cabin for the kids to shelter in when tired or in bad weather. Of course finances did not stretch to regular options so my first though was to build a boat. But I never could find the right boat for that fit our criteria and was simple to build.
So after enlisting a few knowledgeable local freinds to help we found N. Nateetong for sale up a mangrove creek on Koh Yao Yai Island off the coats of Phuket.
Now we are well into the project and have managed to use the boat regularly in between bouts of work. Though up till now we have only made day trips as there is still no accomodation. For now the aim of this blog is document the conversion process and also show a few pics of us using the boat as it progresses.
Directly below this you will see the latest update, scrolling down will go backwards chronologically through the project. If you prefer to see it from the beginning forwards then please go to the first post and begin there.
Monday, 24 August 2009
Thursday, 13 August 2009
Wednesday, 29 July 2009
Last week we undid the ropes and got the Nateetong mobile again to move her from in front of Mike's place to the Boat Lagoon Marina. All went smoothly apart fromt he steering being hooked up back to front so that turning the wheel to the right moved the boat to the left. Made the winding Boat Lagoon channel a little more challenging than normal.
Kao and Geng have been getting on with the painting as well as installing deck drains on the side decks. Yung and Lek have been busy welding up the top deck raili
ng, fitting the swim platform and today constructing the mast.
Today there were couple of carpenters on board tidying up the last loose ends from the wheelhouse job. Hopefully next week I will be able to get them to do the beds in the front cabin.
Here are some pictures.
Tuesday, 21 July 2009
Wheelhouse carpentry work is now finished. We are now focussing on external painting, must admit I am doing a very basic work boat finish with no fairing, but am using two pack local International paint.
Also want to get started on a railing on top of the wheelhouse this week and adjust the height of the forward awning, plus fit the swim platform.
Monday, 13 July 2009
Thursday, 9 July 2009
Progress slowed a little this week, public holidays, lots of rain and Mike had a drama elsewhere so had to pull his guys on to a priority catch up. That is fine with me and now it looks like they are back on the job. My end has got slack too as we got a little busy and I had to put my two guys back to paying jobs for a little while.....This weekend I hope to do some myself and then put Kao and Geng back on the job full time next week.
I was not sure what material to use for the windows but decided to use perspex for now. I know it scratches easily but it is cheap and readily available and easy to work with so will do for this year.